Chill time: 8 hours or overnight
Spin time: 30 minutes
(varies according to manufacturer)
Freeze time: 8 hours or overnight
1 quart of base
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups Yakult
How to make it
- Step 1
- Prepare your home ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Most will require freezing the bowl overnight.
- Step 2
- Combine the 1 ½ cups whole milk, ½ cup heavy cream, 1 cup sugar, and ¼ tsp salt in a large pot. Heat on medium high heat until scalding.
- Step 3
- Meanwhile whisk together the ½ cup Greek yogurt and 3 egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Once the liquid has come to a scald, temper it into the bowl with the egg yolks a little at a time while constantly whisking.
- Step 4
- Return the mixture to the pot and continue to stir on medium high until it reaches 170°F or it’s thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon and you can draw a line in it with your finger.
- Step 5
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into an air tight container. Whisk in the 1 ½ cups Yakult until fully incorporated. Cool over an ice bath and then place in the fridge to completely chill overnight.
- Step 6
- Process the base in your home ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Store in an air tight container in the freezer for at least 8 hours. Scoop and serve with your favorite syrups, sauces, and toppings or enjoy plain!